Ms. Whitney understands that being charged with a crime or having the State intervene in your life can certainly be a scary and deeply personal experience. She has a reputation for listening to her clients, and for helping her clients achieve the result most important to each individual.
Ms. Whitney is an aggressive, gifted litigator. In private practice, she has secured acquittals after jury trial for clients accused of sex assault with force, kidnapping, incest, sex assault by a person in a position of trust, aggravated assault, third degree assault, eluding, driving offenses, and property crimes. In the past year and a half, Ms. Whitney has secured outright dismissals of charges for clients with the following types of cases:
- Felony Sex assault on a child-position of trust and Sex assault on a child-pattern of abuse
- Felony Sex assault-overcome victim’s will
- Felony Sex assault with force
- Felony menacing
- Felony Second degree assault
- Felony criminal trespass-sexual factual basis
- Felony distribution of a controlled substance and possession of a controlled substance
- Felony possession of a controlled substance
- Assault-at risk victim and inciting a public riot
- Felony theft and trespass
- Felony theft over $20,000 of an at-risk victim
- Felony burglary
- Misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance
Ms. Whitney practices in Cortez, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Dove Creek, and throughout Southwestern Colorado. She also takes cases before the United States District Court for the District of Colorado, and in the Southern Ute Indian Tribal Court. Ms. Whitney has been admitted to practice law in Colorado since 2004, and she has been a member of the Colorado Criminal Defense Bar since 2007, and the United State District of Colorado Criminal Justice Act Panel since 2009.
Clients describe Ms. Whitney as smart, aggressive and empathetic; however, her most important trait as an attorney is her dedication to her clients. Without exception, she listens to learn what is important to her client and works tirelessly toward that objective. She is not intimidated by her adversaries, and she is gifted in the art of trial work.