Some questions to ask during the initial consultation
- What are the possible outcomes of my case?
- What are my alternatives in resolving the matter?
- Approximately how long will it take to resolve?
- How will you let me know about what’s happening in my case?
- What kind of approach will you take — tough and steadfast, or will you work to reach a reasonable disposition?
- What are your rates and how often will you bill me?
- What is a ballpark figure for the total bill, including fees and expenses?
Helpful points to decide if this is the right lawyer for you
- Did the lawyer explain things I did not understand?
- Did the lawyer listen to what is important to me and have a plan for how to address these issues?
- Do I feel comfortable with this lawyer?
- Do I feel like this lawyer will fight for me?
- Do I feel like this lawyer will make me and my case a priority?
- Do I feel like this lawyer will keep me informed?
- Does this lawyer understand how important this case is to me?